Tuesday, July 12, 2011

2012 Specialized Dealer Product Launch- Road Demo Day

The official start of the 2012 Specialized Product launch is now in the books and after a nice healthy breakfast consisting of fresh locally grown fruits, a few eggs, a delicious bagel with cream cheese and most important item of all, coffee, we filed into the auditorium for a welcome from the founder of Specialized, Mike Sinyard. I took this photo of him with as he began to speak, admittedly it's not a great pic with the bright, white background, but his passion for the company, and most importantly for cycling, is very infectious and inspirational. His main theme, "We are Specialized". He is very grateful and thankful to all the dealers for what we do. I'm jumping ahead of myself here a bit, but I've been hearing the same message from all the speakers at the various presentations this week, and I'm amazingly impressed with the team of folks Mike has working for Specialized, all very knowledgeable, passionate about the brand and sport, and all incredibly well spoken. They've all made me feel very positive about this brand (not that I wasn't before), and the support network they provide to us at the dealer level. After the welcome presentation, we had some priorities to attend to- riding bikes!


The 2012 S-Works Tarmac SL4

So my goal with the road demo was to expose myself to the Tarmac and Roubaix, both quite popular bikes in our market. As I'm handed the Tarmac from one of the demo folks, the first thing I notice is how incredibly light this bike is. Spec'd with SRAM Red, Roval wheels, the new SL4 frame has a 19% increase in stiffness-to-weight ratio over the 2011 SL3 Tarmac. As I ride down the lovely Monterey bike path, I feel just how well this bike handles through some tight corners, it's early in the morning, so there aren't too many tourists around and I'm able to step up the tempo a bit and stand on the pedals and sprint for a few pedal strokes, not surprisingly, the bike just propels forward with lightning speed! As I start to head out of town and off the bike path into Pacific Grove, I head up some hills and away from the coast. I love to climb hills on my bike and I am quite amazed at just quickly, and confidently this bike climbed. Returning to the coastal road and about seven miles into my ride, I really started putting some hard efforts into the pedals, trying to get a good workout in the process, but more importantly, trying to really get a feel for the bike's response to my input and force applied. Well, it answered all my questions and far exceeded any expectations that I hadn't really thought about. I have ridden Cannondale bikes for nearly all of my road riding days, but the fit and feel of this bike really has me reconsidering my brand and model of choice. 

 A parting shot, fast and furious on the 2012 S-Works Tarmac SL4

The 2012 Specialized Roubaix Pro 

The Roubaix Pro Test Ride was equally awesome as compared to the Tarmac. The last time I rode a Roubaix was in 2005 at the 2006 Dealer Launch, which was actually the first generation Roubaix. Now going on six years of refinement on the product category, they've done a very nice job with capturing and perfecting comfort while riding this bike and increasing performance as it relates to a riders input on the bike. Immediately, I noticed just how comfortable the bike is to ride. Thinking back to that first ride in 2005, there is a significant update in performance on the forth coming Roubaix generation. The bike is a little less slack in the geometry, which increases the handling capability, and makes the bike very predictable at speed and quick to react when you need it, but not so slack as to make the bike feel uncomfortable, or slow and sluggish. That balance they've achieved on this model is rather impressive and I think it's still going to be a very popular bike with our customers. As Josh mentioned in his blog review of the 2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert review it's really the perfect bike for our old beat up New England roads and for folks who want to go fast and be very comfortable on this bike.  I'll include a few more photo's from the road demo, I took more on my Roubaix ride, since I was using that as more of a cool down, I really put myself in the red zone on the Tarmac, completely on purpose of course. Enjoy the pics, and thanks for reading.


Cheers, 
Steve


 During my pre-ride check, GPS on, wallet secured, food items packed.

 Model Branding
 The mighty Pacific Ocean in the background.

Zertz inserts with model branding.

6 comments:

  1. Super Nice Roubaix For Sure. Is that the color of the bike for the 2012 release?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's the Roubaix Pro SL3 Sram Red color. Charcoal & red. They are also doing a carbon with neon blue branding that looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about the 2012 Sirrus Pro Carbon based on
    the Roubaix frame? Did you see one? Is there any changes from last years?
    When can I buy one from you??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that looks like a sweet bike, it's the 2012 Sirrus Limited, $2100 MSRP and currently expected for late August availability. Are you in the local area of Portsmouth, NH or Boston, MA?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I live in Miami Fl. however we are planning a trip to visit Boston and would love to stop in and see the bike.....and others from the new line!
    When will you have pictures and details?
    It's Vacation Time so Portsmouth, NH looks good for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Yes Portsmouth would be great to visit right now or sometime this summer. Specialized has put some of their 2012 bikes on the wbesite, see the link. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCMain.jsp?scid=1099

    Most of the bikes are scheduled for the same time as far as availability, so I can't when exactly say we'll have proper stock, but keep in touch or come visit if you're in the area.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete